Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Assessing learning in gaming

How can learning in gaming be measured? There are so many varieties, levels, and types of video games which make it tough to come up with one answer. With some of the games the instant gratification that comes with making the right choice and getting rewarded shows that learning is taking place. In other games, outlasting your enemy means you’ve learned how to battle and stay alive through perseverance and using your memory skills to do the right moves that get you to that end. With games that contain levels, the learning continues with each level by recalling your wrong moves on any earlier levels where you may have failed. How adapt you are shows in the time it takes to move through the game and through the levels and to stay alive in others. I’m not one to play games often – it may be due to my eye hand coordination, my lack of excitement over small advances, or having to start at the beginning due to being killed. I guess this may be a good thing if I want to design my own game because I would have to design it in a way that would keep someone like me interested. What a task – design a game for learning that will work for everyone…is it possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment